Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Introducing "Dirty Penny" - Former $2010[$2012] GRM Project, Running. Driving. Boosting. FUN!
Eric_Shea
post Sep 28 2011, 08:23 AM
Post #41

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif) of the buffed out, decaled car! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jpnovak
post Sep 28 2011, 11:30 AM
Post #42

They call me "Nanoman"

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,736
Region Association: Southwest Region

I have been working late for the day job and then later for the car job. I will see if I can get pictures before dark tonight.

I have still not completed the graphics layout. I put the stripes on in tape last night but did not like the way they looked. Not sure what to do next.

+Quote Post
jpnovak
post Sep 29 2011, 11:00 AM
Post #43

They call me "Nanoman"

Manged to get the tail lights installed and working last night. Also finished wiring up the tach. Did not have a chance to test it since there is still no muffler installed.

I am getting ready for a tune session on Saturday morning.

I think I have almost decided to forgo the graphics. I am sold on the simplicity of it all.
+Quote Post
jpnovak
post Sep 29 2011, 09:54 PM
Post #44

They call me "Nanoman"

All buffed up and somewhere to go...

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/forums.pelicanparts.com-10736-1317354889.1.jpg)

Yes, that is my garage door in the reflection. Its up and you are basically looking at the ceiling.

I would say that I brought the paint back into the land of the living. The black rectangle is the vent opening for the intercooler. Now some might say that it is placed in a position to take advantage of air flow separation coming off the rear roofline. Some might be correct.
+Quote Post
jpnovak
post Sep 29 2011, 09:56 PM
Post #45

They call me "Nanoman"

Tonight felt like there was nothing accomplished. However I did manage to paint the front trunk and rear decklid ducts and install the rockers.

I worked on the tach but I still do not get the signal output I need.
+Quote Post
jpnovak
post Oct 1 2011, 01:59 PM
Post #46

They call me "Nanoman"

Penny is out and about. Trying to sort the car around the neighborhood without irritating the neighbors too much. The zork off the turbo is a bit loud. Love that whhrrrsssshhh sound as the turbo spools.

I am in love with the shifter placement. right of the steering wheel where you would want it.

I managed to get a harness installed. Wish I had a better seat but there is no room left in the budget to replace that.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/forums.pelicanparts.com-10736-1317499190.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/forums.pelicanparts.com-10736-1317499190.2.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/forums.pelicanparts.com-10736-1317499190.3.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/forums.pelicanparts.com-10736-1317499191.4.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/forums.pelicanparts.com-10736-1317499191.5.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/forums.pelicanparts.com-10736-1317499253.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/forums.pelicanparts.com-10736-1317499192.6.jpg)
+Quote Post
bfrymire
post Oct 1 2011, 05:08 PM
Post #47

Salsaholic

Member No.: 2,431
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(jpnovak @ Oct 1 2011, 12:59 PM) *

Hum. Is it me, or does it seem to be riding a little high in the back?

-- brett
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Oct 1 2011, 05:23 PM
Post #48

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Looks good. Neaten up that wiring. No DNF's for wire fires or connections coming unplugged.
+Quote Post
jpnovak
post Oct 1 2011, 06:26 PM
Post #49

They call me "Nanoman"

I am getting ready to put the car on scales and setup the suspension. As far as I can tell, the rear is not adjustable unless I cut the spring or reweld the position of the spring perch. Please enlighten me if there is another way.

There is not enough room in the build budget to setup suspension properly. That will be the next step after the challenge is over.

Rick, the ECU has been in/out quite a bit as I try to build a circuit to make the tach work with the output signal. I have been probing pins trying to find the right signal on the oscilloscope. It still doe snot work.

the wiring will be cleaned up before the event. I have to retape a few sections of the harness after closing up the ECU.

I am also fighting isssues with the cam signal dropping out. This causes the ECU to loose its place and it drops out all signals. Can you say misfire? Its bad at 4K rpm and I have to get this fixed.
+Quote Post
shuie
post Oct 1 2011, 09:15 PM
Post #50

Member No.: 2,075

Cool man. Thanks for sharing! Good to see you here (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
jpnovak
post Oct 1 2011, 09:34 PM
Post #51

They call me "Nanoman"

Hey Sherman,

How are things in LA? I will passing through on Thursday morning towing to Gainesville. I will honk as I pass through Baton Rouge.

+Quote Post
jpnovak
post Oct 1 2011, 09:36 PM
Post #52

They call me "Nanoman"

I just pulled my car off the scales. Oh so close to 1900.

I was too tired to start the corner balance process. I will post full numbers some time tomorrow.

This car is going to scoot as long as I can tame the trigger signals to the ECU.
+Quote Post
bfrymire
post Oct 1 2011, 11:05 PM
Post #53

Salsaholic

QUOTE(jpnovak @ Oct 1 2011, 08:36 PM) *

I just pulled my car off the scales. Oh so close to 1900.

I was too tired to start the corner balance process. I will post full numbers some time tomorrow.

This car is going to scoot as long as I can tame the trigger signals to the ECU.

Somebody more experienced than me can comment:

1. I normally use either adjustable perches, or different springs to adjust ride height.
2. Without having adjustable rears, how are you going to be able to corner balance?
3. Your rear height will limit how low you can adjust the front, as you can't adjust the rear to match.

As far as item 1. How much budget to you have left? You could find a use set of springs for little money. I have seen shock/spring sets as low as $50. but, I don't think you have time for this. Sounds like the top item is to get it running well, and reliably.

Best of luck.

-- brett
+Quote Post
jpnovak
post Oct 2 2011, 05:48 PM
Post #54

They call me "Nanoman"

Brett, You are correct. However, there is some adjustability to help balance the car. Will it be perfect? No.

So...

1920#
50.1%/49.9% with me in the front seat. I don't think I will get closer than that.

Now, the right front is 1/2" higher than the LF since I can not adjust the rear to compensate ride height. At least I will have close to even front weights to help with braking.

I spent the afternoon trying to purge the cooling system. It was blowing lots of steam since there was an air bubble somewhere. Lots of cycles to let the engine run and then let it cool and suck water back in through the purge reservoir tank.

The ECU is still having issues. It cuts out right at 4K rpm just like hitting the rev limiter. It does, however. GO LIKE HELL. I can see why Britain needed more rubber. I can only imagine the car when it pulls to redline.

A friend of mine shot this video this afternoon. I can not get it to embed properly.

http://youtu.be/VkYU5aXgh5s
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Oct 2 2011, 06:10 PM
Post #55

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Damn! that ECU thing sux! When you get that sorted your going to have to watch the axles. Good luck man!
+Quote Post
jpnovak
post Oct 2 2011, 06:43 PM
Post #56

They call me "Nanoman"

I think I have found the solution to the ECU problem.

I guess I forgot to mention this car runs on Megasquirt. the stock ECU was dead. I assume its flash had been erased after living un-powered for several years.

The solution should be just 4 resistors away. I will solder them in tomorrow and check again.

I also found out that my homemade tire conditioner seems to be working well.
+Quote Post
jpnovak
post Oct 3 2011, 12:09 PM
Post #57

They call me "Nanoman"

ECU problems fixed for now. I came home at lunch for a quick test. revs freely to redline. I will wait and see what happens under load.

Tonight. I tune!
+Quote Post
bfrymire
post Oct 3 2011, 01:21 PM
Post #58

Salsaholic

QUOTE(jpnovak @ Oct 3 2011, 11:09 AM) *

ECU problems fixed for now. I came home at lunch for a quick test. revs freely to redline. I will wait and see what happens under load.

Tonight. I tune!

Uhm.. Feeling like sharing? Impendance mismatch? what fixed it. and what needed fixing.

(I have two more MS projects coming up, and one running now. Need all the info I can gather!) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

-- brett
+Quote Post
Cupomeat
post Oct 3 2011, 01:40 PM
Post #59

missing my NY 914 in VA

Member No.: 8,376
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(jpnovak @ Oct 1 2011, 03:59 PM) *

Penny is out and about. Trying to sort the car around the neighborhood without irritating the neighbors too much. The zork off the turbo is a bit loud. Love that whhrrrsssshhh sound as the turbo spools.

I am in love with the shifter placement. right of the steering wheel where you would want it.

I managed to get a harness installed. Wish I had a better seat but there is no room left in the budget to replace that.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/forums.pelicanparts.com-10736-1317499192.6.jpg)

Just a word of caution, most groups will not allow the use of the harness with a seat like the high back Porsche seats. There was some situations where the shoulder straps separated over the shoulders during accidents, exacerbated by the shape of the seat (and nothing holding the two straps together).
I don't know about this particular challenge, but usually safety equipment is not within the budgetary rules, and I'd look for a cheap kirkey replacement seat for your own safety.
This is a great thread, make my mind reel with interesting possibilities!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
jpnovak
post Oct 3 2011, 04:08 PM
Post #60

They call me "Nanoman"

Brett, the key is a 12K resistor in series with the + terminal of the VR sensor and a 2.2K resistor in parallel between the + and - terminals of the VR sensor. This is needed on the cam and crank sensors. Effectively, this creates a small voltage divider that removes the noise spikes from the trigger signals. I have a nice clean signal according to the TunerStudio tooth logger. Previously I was getting a noise spike every 50th tooth count or so. The noise spike would cause a tooth count to drop out and the system would not fire. It was like my own built in random rev-limiter.

Eric, I agree. I would not normally install the harness like this. The harness is free from cost. The seat is not. The autocross and drag race rules consider this arrangement legal. I have clarification from the Challenge organizers.

I would not run a DE car like this. Its really not comfortable. Future plans for the car call for new seats.

Now I just need to get the tach to work...

+Quote Post

8 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 08:51 AM